Username: Password:

Author Topic: Shopping security camera systems  (Read 112 times)

Chris

• Wanna go cheese?
Shopping security camera systems
« on: September 12, 2020, 02:58:57 AM »
I'll start by saying that the cameras are more for a bit of piece of mind(and for visual) more than anything or I'd just go for a full blown monitored system from something like Xfinity or whatever. I bought a cheap system years ago because of a few things going on at the time. I just looked at my old orders and see that that camera resolution is 420 lines. It's not great at all compared to current systems but back then it was pretty standard.

This system also used a different type of cable connection compared to the types of today. It used an almost s-video type of plug on the camera side which then split into a power plug with a BNC plug for the video at the DVR. A large portion of the systems now use a pain in the rear cable which have a power plug and a BNC connection at the camera as well as at the DVR which makes feeding cables through a wall more difficult. The newer systems offer PoE with is power over ethernet. This is the type I will get for a few reasons. First is it's a single connection at both ends of the cable. It's just like connecting your computer to your router. Second is because of feeding through a wall. A single ethernet plug will be much easier to push through compared to a BNC/power plug combo. I've done 3 installs with those BNC cables and I hated them all. It's hard to hide the connections because there's just so much to cover for one thing.

I'm currently looking at a 5MP system that includes 8 5MP cameras, the NVR with 2TB HDD and all the various cables with waterproof ends on them for about $430.00 with tax. There are 4K systems for twice as much but I'm fine with moving from 420 lines to 2,560 x 1,920. I'm not trying to protect Fort Knox here. Another reason is the system includes 4 cables of 60' and 4 of 100'. Every other system I looked at just came with 8 60' cables which meant I would need to buy extras adding to their cost.
Missing: 1 signature. Last seen running away screaming after seeing a pair of 34D's turning into 32A's after a bra removal. If you see this signature please contact the nearest law enforcement agency immediately as it has been traumatized immensely and can be quite unstable due to this. Please do not approach this signature unarmed because it is unknown as to how it will react. To prevent this issue from happening in the future please stop wearing overly padded bras.

Chris

• Wanna go cheese?
Re: Shopping security camera systems
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2020, 10:42:56 AM »
So here is a dilemma. I don't really want a large TV for this but I do need something better than what I'm currently using because it's not even a 1080p screen and if I run the cameras at max resolution they are 2560 x 1920. I can get a Hisense 43" 4K Roku TV for $240.00 or a Toshiba 43" 4K Fire TV for $230.00 for example that would be more than enough for the camera resolution. I would honestly prefer a 32" but I can only find gaming monitor for more money. My question is if I should use a PC monitor or a regular TV set as the monitor usually stays on all the time. My current monitor is an old PC flat screen way back from when I upgraded my desktop monitor to a 27" 1080p screen.
Missing: 1 signature. Last seen running away screaming after seeing a pair of 34D's turning into 32A's after a bra removal. If you see this signature please contact the nearest law enforcement agency immediately as it has been traumatized immensely and can be quite unstable due to this. Please do not approach this signature unarmed because it is unknown as to how it will react. To prevent this issue from happening in the future please stop wearing overly padded bras.

Chris

• Wanna go cheese?
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2020, 10:49:32 AM »
I just took a look on Newegg and saw this:

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16824236825?Description=4k%20monitor&cm_re=4k_monitor-_-24-236-825-_-Product

That honestly would be enough screen for what I need it's just that is just such overkill for a security camera monitor I think.

Chris

• Wanna go cheese?
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2020, 11:12:26 AM »
Actually this would be perfect:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LPNKFK0/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

It uses the same VESA mounting as my current monitor so it would be a simple swap and hang and be done. My current mount is good for up to 24" with a weight of 44lbs. The above weighs less than 9lbs.

I could probably even use this one:

https://www.amazon.com/AOC-U2790VQ-3840x2160-Frameless-DisplayPort/dp/B07LBM2DCC/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=4k+monitor+24+inch&qid=1599922664&refinements=p_85%3A2470955011%2Cp_n_feature_fifteen_browse-bin%3A17751804011&rnid=17751799011&rps=1&s=pc&sr=1-5

Chris

• Wanna go cheese?
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2020, 03:16:45 AM »
Doing this the way I want is getting expensive. :lol2:

I was figuring the entire thing out and to keep things somewhat as they are only with relocating the DVR location closer to my ethernet switch but keeping the monitor where it is now I would need to:

1. install the cameras around the house
2. punch a hole in the wall near where my cable coax comes through (where the gateway/switch is located)
3. add a piece of pvc pipe in the hole(just for easy cable pass through - I can skip this if I want to)
4. run the cables around the house to the cameras and including one that would go to the current hole located where the monitor is at on the opposite side of the house
5. get an HDMI over ethernet extender
6. connect the newly run ethernet to the extender and then to the new monitor with HDMI
7. finally relax when it's all done

The worst part of it really is the cost followed by punching a hole in the wall. The rest would probably only take me a few hours to do. I did my brothers house with 6 cameras and it took me around 5 hours and that was because they got in my way more than anything with things like wanting to see an extra inch to the left or to the right kind of stuff. Considering how long it took me to do my current setup(around 3 hours for 4 cameras) when I did that I bet I could do a new one by myself in around 3 hours as well with installing 6 or so cameras considering now I can use a phone app to set the cameras where I want them compared to when I did my current one by going up and down the ladder and into the house to look at the monitor multiple times as I adjusted them one by one.

Chris

• Wanna go cheese?
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2020, 03:24:52 AM »
Something I just now thought of. Before I even think on buying all of this I need to find out what the operating temperature of PoE is. It gets really cold here and it wouldn't be all that great to have the cameras stop working from say December to March.

Chris

• Wanna go cheese?
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2020, 06:47:01 AM »
I decided to test out a camera from my new system last night since my street was again pitch dark other than a few porch lights on houses. I left my light off during this because I was curious about the night vision on the camera. I plugged it in and then ran it out the front door to the edge of the porch. The camera is white and again from the door to where the camera was sitting I couldn't see it because it was so dark. I look at the TV and it's a super clear picture and I can see to the street just from the night vision and it was even picking up the traffic in both directions as they drove by because of the headlights(I could actually see the shape of the cars). I could even see the house across the street but that was only because they had their porch light on. I couldn't see their yard next to the house but I wouldn't expect to because that is way beyond the range of the night vision on the camera.

I want to do the full install but with the weather being a bit chilly today I haven't decided on that just yet.

Chris

• Wanna go cheese?
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2020, 09:45:00 AM »
The PoE system is really nice but the app for it is a little frustrating. It will on occasion just drop the connection to the NVR and say it's offline. I installed a few of the cameras yesterday and was using the app to adjust them instead of going in and out of the house to look at the TV and a few times I had to close and reopen the app to get the connection to refresh. Just doing it in the app never worked. It wasn't a huge deal just a bit of a time waster.

With a the camera mounted on the back of the house I was actually able to see my entire backyard at night. My previous camera couldn't see beyond the front of my shed and nothing to either side of it. It was all just dark so the new cameras are a huge improvement. I still have more to install but I've been busy for the last few days trying to fix an old leaking concrete laundry tub at my dads house that he refuses to replace with a new plastic one and also spending about 12 hours painting a basement and I just haven't had the time or energy to do more yet.

Chris

• Wanna go cheese?
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2020, 10:51:40 AM »
I was going to mention this before but forgot. I'll also bring this up in the Ring doorbell topic. I have a camera(the old one connected to a non working DVR - the reason I never caught the door knocking person) mounted on the inside corner of my porch pointing towards the front door. It worked out great for years because it was an easy way to see who was at the door but recently it seems that people have become wise to the camera so they now knock and then move to the far side of the porch away from the camera view. Now with the Ring in place this isn't a big deal because that catches my entire porch and beyond. Then I have the issue of the Ring picking up the infrared on the camera and causes it to glow like a flashlight. Now I don't know if this is related as I haven't gotten around to testing it yet but the Ring also gets this "smudge" directly in the middle of my walkway at night which almost looks like a person from behind at a quick glance. I want to see it's because of the 2 cameras pointing at each other and if I don't forget will test it tonight to be sure. The odd thing though was that it wasn't like this for the first few days of having it.

Now this above image has been triggered as a person detected despite it not being a person. I can live view the Ring and it's always there now at night. The lens doesn't appear to have any smudges on it so I'm not sure what's going on with it just yet. It will go away if the porch light is on so maybe it's too dark on the porch and the night vision on the Ring just sucks.

This screenshot looks better on my phone but at full size looks horrible.