Username: Password:

Author Topic: May be shopping for a new subwoofer soon  (Read 94 times)

Chris

• Wanna go cheese?
May be shopping for a new subwoofer soon
« on: October 16, 2020, 03:28:13 AM »
Ok, I reran Audyssey on my Denon and it cleaned up the bass a bit but this JBL sub is just lacking in punch compared to the BIC. I don't need room shaking bass but I do want a little more "boom". The JBL despite being a 12" sounds more like one of those little 6.5-8" PC speaker subs like the Logitech one under my desk. The issue is that the bass with it lets you know exactly where the sub is located. The bass just doesn't fill the room and is just stuck in the corner. The BIC was so boomy you had no idea where it was(I mean I did for obvious reasons :lol2:) but anyone else would have to ask.

I've tried running the sub channel level up to +9.0(I can go up to +12) but that doesn't help and actually makes the sub sound muddy or muffled. Audyssey set the front speakers to large with various crossover levels so I switched everything back to small like it was prior and then set all speakers to 80Hz(again like before) and I just don't have that kick.

I'm going to give it a little while to see if I adjust to it because I'd rather not spend money on a new sub if I don't have to just yet.

I was looking at this one though:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NVPMJNC/ref=wl_mb_wl_huc_clickstream_3_dp

Klipsch Reference R-112SW Subwoofer

With the Klipsch it should pair fairly well with all my Jamo speakers since they are made by Klipsch. I'm not set on one though and am open to other brands.
Missing: 1 signature. Last seen running away screaming after seeing a pair of 34D's turning into 32A's after a bra removal. If you see this signature please contact the nearest law enforcement agency immediately as it has been traumatized immensely and can be quite unstable due to this. Please do not approach this signature unarmed because it is unknown as to how it will react. To prevent this issue from happening in the future please stop wearing overly padded bras.

Chris

• Wanna go cheese?
Re: May be shopping for a new subwoofer soon
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2020, 03:42:06 AM »
I figured out my lack of bass issue. The sub was set in the negatives in two separate areas in the Denon. I only knew about the settings for Audyssey which had it set to -4.0. I set each input level(I'm talking about HDMI inputs) to around +4.0 to +6.0 which helped a little but bass was still lacking. I decided to go back and change that -4.0 to 0 and try again. Bass improved but still by just a small amount. Trying to go higher caused it to sound horrible as I mentioned in the previous post. I went back into the settings and found another sub setting under "Audio" where up to this point I was under "Speakers" as that is where levels, crossovers and bass frequencies are. Under Audio was an additional sub level adjustment and in there it was set to -9.0(so in one area it was -4.0 and then it was also -9.0 in another). I started moving that up closer to 0 and then checking different sources and noticed bass was slowly coming back as I increased the level. I'm currently at -3.0 and it's pretty good. I still have my various input levels for bass around +2.0 to +4.0 so I plan to eventually get the level to 0 and then start over but for now I'm satisfied enough to stop messing with it.

When I start from scratch I plan on setting both sub levels to 0 and then going from there. I should have done that in the first place but I didn't want to screw around with it that much right now.

I still miss the amount of bass my 15" BIC did though.
Missing: 1 signature. Last seen running away screaming after seeing a pair of 34D's turning into 32A's after a bra removal. If you see this signature please contact the nearest law enforcement agency immediately as it has been traumatized immensely and can be quite unstable due to this. Please do not approach this signature unarmed because it is unknown as to how it will react. To prevent this issue from happening in the future please stop wearing overly padded bras.